One of the best things that Rock Band has going for it is the amazing community that’s been created. The news that DLC was ending after almost 6 years was, I’d imagine, a difficult thing for the community. One of the things that we’ve been amazing in doing is staying together, even though the thing that brought a lot of us together has stopped producing new content.
We at RockBandAide came up with an idea a little while ago for Community Nights. The idea is simple, on the third weekend of every month from 6PM EST Friday to 6PM EST Sunday we all get together and play Rock Band. It doesn’t matter what console you’re playing on, just as long as you’re playing!
We’ve got even more awesome news for you, as well! We’ve teamed up with Harmonix so that during these community nights, we can give away some prizes, like FREE DLC and we may even have some special gifts as well! We’ll be hosting these giveaways on RockBandAide as well as on our twitter, @RockBandAide, so now would be the perfect time to follow us so you don’t miss out on any of these awesome prizes!
Our first #RBnight will start on July 19 at 6PM EST and end on July 21 at 6PM EST, so be sure to get ready for that! I can hear the excitement already!
This week is highly aMUSEing… we have some tracks from European Bands, a classic rock artist, a controversial artist and one of the last great packs ever released for Rock Band.
2008 – 5/20 (9 Tracks – 9 Singles)
- Blur – Beetlebum (Alternative)
- H-Blockx – Countdown to Insanity (Rock)
- Die Toten Hosen – Hier Kommt Alex (Punk)
- Muse – Hysteria (Alternative)
- Les Wampas – Manu Chao (Punk)
- Tokio Hotel – Monsoon (Glam)
- Pleymo – New Wave (Metal)
- Juli – Perfekte Welle (Rock)
- Oasis – Rock ‘n’ Roll Star (Rock)
2009 – 5/19 (10 Tracks – 2 Packs/1 Single)
- Alice Cooper – School’s Out (Live) (Rock)
- Alice Cooper – I’m Eighteen (Live) (Rock)
- Alice Cooper – Billion Dollar Babies” (Live) (Rock)
- Alice Cooper – Poison (Rock)
- Alice Cooper – Under My Wheels (Live) (Rock)
- Alice Cooper – Vengeance is Mine (Rock)
- Taking Back Sunday – Liar (It Takes One to Know One) (Emo)
- Taking Back Sunday – MakeDamnSure (Emo)
- Taking Back Sunday – What’s It Feel Like to Be a Ghost? (Emo)
- The Replacements – Kids Don’t Follow (Punk)
2010 – 5/18 (8 Tracks – 1 Pack/2 Singles)
- Grateful Dead – Beat It on Down the Line (Classic Rock)
- Grateful Dead – Cumberland Blues (Classic Rock)
- Grateful Dead – Scarlet Begonias (Classic Rock)
- Grateful Dead – Throwing Stones (Classic Rock)
- Grateful Dead – Touch of Grey (Classic Rock)
- Grateful Dead – U.S. Blues (Classic Rock)
- The Smithereens – A Girl Like You (Rock)
- The Smithereens – Only a Memory (Rock)
2011 – 5/23 (5 Tracks – 1 Pack/2 Singles)
- Lady Gaga – Born This Way (Pop/Dance/Electronic)
- Lady Gaga – LoveGame (Pop/Dance/Electronic)
- Lady Gaga – Paparazzi (Pop/Dance/Electronic)
- Foreigner – Hot Blooded (Classic Rock)
- Foreigner – Urgent (Classic Rock)
2012 – 5/22 (6 Tracks – 1 Pack)
- Iron Maiden – Phantom of the Opera (Metal)
- Iron Maiden – The Prisoner (Metal)
- Iron Maiden – Flight of Icarus (Metal)
- Iron Maiden – Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Metal)
- Iron Maiden – Infinite Dreams (Metal)
- Iron Maiden – Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Metal)
There are lots of highlights for me this week. Since I live in Europe, all of the tracks released in 2008 I already own, with Monsoon (before not exporting) and Countdown to Insanity being among my favourite from the original disc. While School’s Out wasn’t a bad live version, I much preferred the studio version. And how can I end without mentioning Foreigner? What a smart move by Harmonix by releasing that with Lady Gaga. And what tracks did we get? Hot Blooded and Urgent are simply awesome, and always get a play everytime Rock Band is on.
Over to you: How many tracks have you bought from this week? What do you think is the best year? Is this a good week for you in the past? Were any of your favorite tracks or singles released this week? Discuss away below! Plan to purchase any more tracks you haven’t got yet? Remember – 2008, 2009 and 2010 are still discounted!
After looking through RockBandAide, why don’t you head on over to my fansite, The Tribute Pages? New Tribute pages for Video Games, TV Shows and Movies and updates arrive every week, including Rock Band and Rock Band Blitz. See you there!
News of Rock Band has been, understandably, a bit slow as of late. E3 is coming next week, which means we will see an onslaught of gaming news coming our direction over the next few weeks. And despite Harmonix admittedly working on at least three new projects right now, including the recently announced Fantasia: Music Evolved, none of them are focused on the Rock Band franchise.
Does that mean we will never see Rock Band again? Not if CEO Alex Rigopulos has anything to say about it! (Spoiler: He does.)
In a comment made with Gamespot, Alex said the following:
I’ll also say that we don’t view Rock Band as something that’s being left behind. It’s something we’ll return to at the right point in time and reimagine it as appropriate for its time.
Gamespot also noted that Rock Band had sold over 130 MILLION songs to date.